Not sure how to use your Nüton program with Canada’s new food guide?
Can I still use my Nuton programs?
You may be wondering…can I continue to teach my nutrition program in light of the new food guide? Short answer: Yes!
It is still worthwhile to teach Food Explorers (Grades K-1), Power to Play (Grades 2-3), Power to Explore (Grade 4), Power to Grow (Grade 5), Powerful Bones (Grade 6) and Power to Be (Grade 8).
Read on to learn more about the food guide, how to teach your program in light of the new guidance, and how to get a copy of Canada’s new food guide.
What does the new food guide suggest?
The new food guide, released January 22, 2019, urges Canadians to:
- Eat a variety of healthy foods each day
- Have plenty of vegetables and fruits (such as pears, apples, berries, broccoli, peaches, cabbage and leafy greens)
- Choose whole grain foods (such as quinoa, whole grain pasta, whole grain bread, whole oats or oatmeal, whole grain brown or wild rice)
- Eat protein foods (such as beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, lean meats and poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs, lower fat milk, and lower fat dairy products)
- Make water your drink of choice
But it’s not just about what to eat…
But healthy eating is not just about what to eat. Health Canada is bringing messages about how we eat to the forefront:
- Be mindful of your eating habits
- Cook more often
- Enjoy your food
- Eat meals with others
We are still awaiting the release of more guidance from Health Canada addressing the amounts and types of foods recommended, as well as guidance for particular stages of life. Following the release of these details we will begin the process of updating our programs.
Until then, click on the program image below to learn more about how you can teach in light of our new food guide.
Where can I get a copy of the new food guide?
Copies of the food guide snapshot may be downloaded from the Health Canada website.
Happy to help with any questions!
Have questions about teaching nutrition in your classroom? Contact us to speak to one of our dietitians.