Training | Kindergarten & Grade 1
What is Food Explorers?
If you teach kindergarten and/or Grade 1 students, the Food Explorers nutrition education program is for you! The Food Explorers teacher workshop helps you guide students through hands on food experiences that focus on the mysteries of tastes to concrete, first-hand experiences with food, focusing on the mysteries of tastes, textures and colours of food. The program includes preparation of simple recipes and encourages students to have fun exploring a variety of foods.
This interactive teacher workshop will include:
- Training on current childhood nutrition recommendations and effective classroom nutrition education
- The initial kit includes:
- Teacher guide with classroom activities
- Class set of recipe collector cards (re-supplied annually at no cost)
- Class set of colourful stickers (re-supplied annually at no cost)
- Student materials and any updated content are supplied annually free of charge
- Ideas for fun and nutritious classroom snacks (and samples of course!)
- A Make and Take - Mystery Can for nutrition activities
* Program materials are only available to teachers who have taken a workshop.
What about Canada's new food guide?
Read more on how to use Food Explorers with Canada's new food guide.
Mini Food Grant
- Did you know? If you are a K-1 teacher using Food Explorers, you may be eligible for a Mini Food Grant of up to $150! This grant will help you purchase ingredients to explore a variety of foods with your students. For more information on how to qualify, visit here.
Nutrition is a cross-curricular topic. Meet outcomes in many other subjects while teaching nutrition.Contact us to learn more
What comes with the program
The following resources are provided at no cost to workshop participants
Teacher guide with classroom activities
Recipe cards and stickers
Ideas for fun and healthy classroom snacks
A Mystery Can for nutrition activities
Feeding with Love and Good Sense 18 Months through 6 Years