Educator Training: Kindergarten & Grade 1
What is Food Explorers?
Food Explorers is an exciting program for kindergarten and/or Grade 1 students, to help them explore the food in a fun and positive way, while learning about core curriculum! The program includes preparing simple recipes and encourages students to have fun exploring a variety of foods.
Who is this workshop for?
- K-1 classroom teachers
- Physical Education teachers
- Educational Assistants, Resource Teachers, Foods and Nutrition Teachers and those who interact with the same group of students regularly
What do you learn in a teacher workshop?
- Current child nutrition recommendations & best practices
- How to integrate food and nutrition education with core curriculum
- How to talk to students about food, bodies and movement in a safe way
- How nutrition intersects with mental health and wellbeing
- To learn more about our teaching philosophy, check this out
What do teachers get after attending a workshop*?
- Training on current childhood nutrition recommendations and effective classroom nutrition education
- The initial kit includes:
- Free teacher guide with student materials
- Class set of recipe collector cards and colourful stickers for students to take home** (re-supplied annually at no cost)
- Ideas for fun and nutritious classroom snacks (and samples of course!)
* Program materials are only available to teachers who have taken a workshop.
** Resources for home are re-supplied annually at no cost to teachers who have taken a workshop.
Can I use Food Explorers during the COVID-19 Pandemic?
What about Canada's new food guide?
Read more on how to use Food Explorers with Canada's new food guide.
Mini Food Grant
- Did you know? If you are using Food Explorers, you are eligible for a Mini Food Grant of up to $200! This grant will help you purchase ingredients to explore a variety of foods with your students. For more information on how to qualify, visit here.
Nutrition is a cross-curricular topic. Meet outcomes in many other subjects while teaching nutrition.Contact us to learn more
What comes with the program
Participants leave the workshop with a variety of free resources related to nutrition education for early years students.
The following resources are provided at no cost to teachers:
Teacher guide with classroom activities
Recipe cards and stickers for students
Ideas for fun and healthy classroom snacks
A Mystery Can for nutrition activities
Feeding with Love and Good Sense 6 through 13 Years