Teacher Training | Grade 8
Power To Be explores the complex issues related to body image in a manner relevant to younger teens.
This interactive teacher workshop will help you guide students through a variety of engaging individual and group activities addressing food intake, fitness, weight, shape and size. This program can be used to meet curriculum outcomes in home economics, physical education or English language arts programming.
This interactive teacher workshop will include:
- Teacher’s Guide – lesson plans, teaching ideas, student activities, and assessment tools
- USB - Contains student activity sheets (French and English), one video, a series of eight vignettes and ready to use lesson files.
- 2 posters
* Program materials are only available to teachers who have taken a workshop.
Nutrition is a cross-curricular topic. Meet outcomes in many other subjects while teaching nutrition.Contact us to learn more
What comes with the program
The following resources are provided at no cost to workshop participants
Teacher guide with 5 lessons, three student presentation lessons, teaching ideas, and student activities
Contains student activity sheets (English and French) in standard pdf format as well as pdf with fillable form fields, nine videos and vignettes, ready to use lesson files (PowerPoint & Smartboard)
Healthy Bodies poster
A teen body image poster with discussion questions and teaching ideas on the back.
Web of Influences Poster
Supports visual learning and concept comprehension ss students explore the many influences on food, drink and activity choices.
Materials available for purchase
Food Picture Cards (Bilingual)
A set of 103 food pictures with a food group legend on the back (5”x7”cards).
Food Guide Rainbow
This re-useable fabric rainbow (approx. 24”x40”) can be incorporated into many nutrition activities at any grade level.
Food Guide Serving Size Poster
This two sided poster shows a food guide rainbow on one side and several meals and snacks on the other; both include life-size food guide servings.
This resource offers current sports nutrition information for athletes and people who train vigorously. Self-assessment activities help individuals plan “fuel” for both performance and recovery. Eight page booklet; can be used as separate fact sheets.
Canada’s Physical Activity Guidelines for Children
Sharing nutrition information with parents can:
- Help families understand what students learn about nutrition and food.
- Support classroom learning in the home.
- Update parents on nutritional information.
- Communicate with families to encourage healthful eating habits at home.