Educator Training: Grade 8
What is Power to Be?
Power to Be is a nutrition education program designed to help explore the complex issues related to body image in a manner relevant to young teens. Register for this interactive teacher workshop to help you guide students through a variety of engaging individual and group activities addressing food intake, fitness, weight, shape and size. This program can be used to meet curriculum outcomes in home economics, physical education or English language arts programming.
What do you learn in a teacher workshop?
- What role families, schools and teachers play in mealtimes & food or nutrition education
- What is ‘healthy’ eating anyway?
- When messages to kids about ‘healthy’ eating takes a turn
- 4 ingredients to make a difference in your students’ lives
- Eating competence
- Food literacy
- Body acceptance
- Food journeys
- How to talk to kids/students about food, bodies and movement
This interactive teacher workshop will include:
- Teacher’s Guide – lesson plans, teaching ideas, student activities, and assessment tools
- Student activity sheets (French and English), one video, a series of eight vignettes and ready to use lesson files.
- 2 posters
* Program materials are only available to teachers who have taken a workshop.
What about Canada's new food guide?
Read more on how to use Power to Be with Canada's new food guide.
Can you Safely use Nüton Programs and Resources During COVID-19?
Dialogue with a Dietitian
- Did you know? If you are a Grade 8 teacher using Power to Be, you and your classroom can submit your food or nutrition related questions to support your contribution to your class’ Health Promotion project. Your personal information will be kept private, only your school’s name will be identified along with your question. A registered dietitian will respond to your question. For more information on how to ask your questions, visit here.
Nutrition is a cross-curricular topic. Meet outcomes in many other subjects while teaching nutrition.Contact us to learn more
What comes with the program
The following resources are provided at no cost to workshop participants
Teacher guide with 5 lessons, three student presentation lessons, teaching ideas, and student activities
Feeding with Love and Good Sense: 12 through 18 Years
Contains student activity sheets (English and French) in standard pdf format as well as pdf with fillable form fields, nine videos and vignettes, ready to use lesson files (PowerPoint & Smartboard)
Healthy Bodies poster
A teen body image poster with discussion questions and teaching ideas on the back.
Web of Influences Poster
Supports visual learning and concept comprehension ss students explore the many influences on food, drink and activity choices.
Materials available for purchase
Food Picture Cards (Bilingual)
A set of 103 food pictures with a food group legend on the back (5”x7”cards).