Teacher Training | Grade 2 – 3
Power to Play is a superhero themed program for grades 2&3 that explores food and drink choices that give kids the power to play.
In this interactive teacher workshop you will meet "Brock Lee" and "Coco Lait". These superheroes will lead your students on healthy eating and physical activity adventures so they have the power to play, think, and feel great!
This interactive teacher workshop will include:
- Training and a free copy of a teacher manual complete with lesson plans and bilingual student activity sheets
- An electronic version of lessons to use on a Smartboard
- A Smartboard program "Adventures in Power to Play" that uses interactive touch technology to let students explore healthy food choices through hands-on investigation
- Ideas for fun and healthy classroom snacks (and samples of course!)
- A Make and Take - Mystery Can for nutrition activities
Nutrition is a cross-curricular topic. Meet outcomes in many other subjects while teaching nutrition.Contact us to learn more
What comes with the program
The following resources are provided at no cost to workshop participants
Grade specific teacher guides with lesson plans and student activities. Each lesson makes physical activity fun by including an Energy Blast.
Bring lessons to life as your class watches Broc Lee and Coco Lait’s adventures in healthy eating. Watch a DVD episode.
Fun songs let students know about the super-food activities. Listen to a song.
CD-ROM (French and English)
Contains all student activity sheets; designed for use with SMART board.
A technology-based resource that extends learning in Power to Play! It highlights technology and hands-on investigation to explore a variety of food choices.
Materials available for purchase
A set of 10 study prints that showcase each of the four food groups, meals, active play, healthy classroom lunch and a family mealtime.
Food Picture Cards (Bilingual)
A set of 103 food pictures with a food group legend on the back (5”x7”cards).
Food Guide Rainbow
This re-useable fabric rainbow (approx. 24”x40”) can be incorporated into many nutrition activities at any grade level.
Preschool Food Puzzle
Colourful, sturdy cardboard floor puzzle links food and agriculture with big pieces, great for little hands.
Resources for Families
Feeding Children Ages 1 to 5 (Individual booklet)
Easier reading information tips on healthy eating for preschool children.
Snacks & Dental Health (Individual booklet)
Information, hints for parents and kids.
Sharing nutrition information with parents can:
- Help families understand what students learn about nutrition and food.
- Support classroom learning in the home.
- Update parents on nutritional information.
- Communicate with families to encourage healthful eating habits at home.
Share the following resources with parents: