Teacher Training | Grade 6
Powerful Bones helps students understand that bones are dynamic, living tissue.In this teacher workshop you will receive information and activities to help students understand that adolescence is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to build strong bones. Students will assess their intake of calcium-rich foods and activity patterns, then plan and practice lifestyle choices that will help them build strong bones.
This interactive teacher workshop will include:
- Teacher’s Guide – lesson plans, teaching ideas, student activities, and assessment tools
- USB – student activity sheets (French and English), bone remodeling video, ready to sue lesson files
- Class set of parent brochure Do You Think About Their Bones
Nutrition is a cross-curricular topic. Meet outcomes in many other subjects while teaching nutrition.Contact us to learn more
Sorry, registration is now closed. Please check back again, or join our mailing list to be the first to know when registration opens.
What comes with the program
The following resources are provided at no cost to workshop participants
With lesson plans, teaching ideas, student activities, and assessment tools
Contains student activity sheets (English and French) in standard pdf format as well as pdf with fillable form fields Bone Remodelling Video and ready to use lesson files (PowerPoint & Smartboard)
Do you think about their bones?
Almost all bone tissue is built during childhood and adolescence. This brochure provides parents with information about food and activity to help maximize their child’s bone building potential.
Materials available for purchase
Food Picture Cards (Bilingual)
A set of 103 food pictures with a food group legend on the back (5”x7”cards).
Food Guide Serving Size Poster
This two sided poster shows a food guide rainbow on one side and several meals and snacks on the other; both include life-size food guide servings.
Sharing nutrition information with parents can:
- Help families understand what students learn about nutrition and food.
- Support classroom learning in the home.
- Update parents on nutritional information.
- Communicate with families to encourage healthful eating habits at home.