Educator Training: Grade 6
What is Powerful Bones?
Powerful Bones is a nutrition education program designed to help students understand that bones are dynamic, living tissue. Register for a teacher workshop; you will receive information and activities to help students understand that adolescence is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to build strong bones. Students will assess their intake of calcium-rich foods and activity patterns, then plan and practice lifestyle choices that will help them build strong bones.
This interactive teacher workshop will include:
- Teacher’s Guide – lesson plans, teaching ideas, student activities, and assessment tools
- USB – student activity sheets (French and English), bone remodeling video, ready to sue lesson files
- Class set of parent brochure Do You Think About Their Bones
* Program materials are only available to teachers who have taken a workshop.
What about Canada's new food guide?
Read more on how to use Powerful Bones with Canada's new food guide.
Can you Safely use Nüton Programs and Resources During COVID-19?
Mini Smoothie Grant
- Did you know? If you are a Grade 6 teacher using Powerful Bones, you may be eligible for a Mini Smoothie Grant of up to $25! This grant will help you purchase ingredients to make a nutritious snack with your students as a fun way to wrap up the Powerful Bones program. For more information on how to qualify, visit here.
Nutrition is a cross-curricular topic. Meet outcomes in many other subjects while teaching nutrition.Contact us to learn more
What comes with the program
The following resources are provided at no cost to workshop participants
With lesson plans, teaching ideas, student activities, and assessment tools
Feeding with Love and Good Sense: 6 through 13 years
Contains student activity sheets (English and French) in standard pdf format as well as pdf with fillable form fields Bone Remodelling Video and ready to use lesson files (PowerPoint & Smartboard)
Do you think about their bones?
Almost all bone tissue is built during childhood and adolescence. This brochure provides parents with information about food and activity to help maximize their child’s bone building potential.
The Smoothie Builder template
Smoothie Ingredients Removable Stickers
Materials available for purchase
Food Picture Cards (Bilingual)
A set of 103 food pictures with a food group legend on the back (5”x7”cards).