Educator Training: Grade 5
What is Power to Grow?
Power to Grow is a nutrition education program designed to help students understand how the body uses food and offers tools for making informed food choices. If you teach Grade 5, register for this interactive teacher workshop to help you guide students through a wide variety of nutrition topics including digestion and media influences on food choices. Program resources help students apply nutrition knowledge through critical thinking.
Who is this workshop for?
- Grade 5 classroom teachers
- Physical Education teachers
- Educational Assistants, Resource Teachers, Foods and Nutrition Teachers and those who interact with the same group of students regularly
What do you learn in a teacher workshop?
- Teachers learn:
- Current child nutrition recommendations & best practices
- How to integrate food and nutrition education with core curriculum
- How to talk to students about food, bodies and movement in a safe way
- How nutrition intersects with mental health and wellbeing
- To learn more about our teaching philosophy, check this out
What do teachers get after attending a workshop?*
- Training on current childhood nutrition recommendations and effective classroom nutrition education
- The initial kit includes:
- Teacher’s Guide* – lesson plans, teaching ideas, student activities, and assessment tools
- Classroom posters
- Student activity sheets (French and English), 4 videos to support teaching, and Smartboard ready lessons
- Ideas for fun and nutritious classroom snacks (and samples of course!)
* Program materials are only available to teachers who have taken a workshop.
What about Canada's new food guide?
Read more on how to use Power to Grow with Canada's new food guide.
Can you Safely use Nüton Programs and Resources During COVID-19?
Nutrition is a cross-curricular topic. Meet outcomes in many other subjects while teaching nutrition.Contact us
What comes with the program
Participants leave the workshop with a variety of free resources related to nutrition education for early-middle years students.
The following resources are provided at no cost to teachers:
Includes lesson plans, teaching ideas, student activities and assessment tools
Healthy Bodies poster
Sizing Up Food Guide Servings Poster
Feeding with Love and Good Sense: 6 through 13 years
USB with student activity sheets
(English and French), Smartboard ready lessons
Materials available for purchase
Food Picture Cards (Bilingual)
A set of 103 food pictures with a food group legend on the back (5”x7”cards).
Canada’s Food Guide
Class sets available from Health Canada:
Canada’s Food Guide