Teacher Training | Grade 5
Power to Grow helps students understand how the body uses food and offers tools for making informed food choices.
This interactive teacher workshop will help you guide students through a wide variety of nutrition topics including digestion, label reading, and media influences on food choices. Program resources help students apply nutrition knowledge and learn skills through personal assessment.
This interactive teacher workshop will include:
- Teacher’s Guide – lesson plans, teaching ideas, student activities, and assessment tools
- 2 posters
- USB – with student activity sheets (French and English), 4 videos to support teaching, and Smartboard ready lessons
* Program materials are only available to teachers who have taken a workshop.
Nutrition is a cross-curricular topic. Meet outcomes in many other subjects while teaching nutrition.Contact us
What comes with the program
The following resources are provided at no cost to workshop participants
Includes lesson plans, teaching ideas, student activities and assessment tools
Healthy Bodies poster
Sizing Up Food Guide Servings Poster
USB with student activity sheets
(English and French), Smartboard ready lessons
Materials available for purchase
Food Picture Cards (Bilingual)
A set of 103 food pictures with a food group legend on the back (5”x7”cards).
Food Guide Rainbow
This re-useable fabric rainbow (approx. 24”x40”) can be incorporated into many nutrition activities at any grade level.
Food Guide Serving Size Poster
This two sided poster shows a food guide rainbow on one side and several meals and snacks on the other; both include life-size food guide servings.
Sharing nutrition information with parents can:
- Help families understand what students learn about nutrition and food.
- Support classroom learning in the home.
- Update parents on nutritional information.
- Communicate with families to encourage healthful eating habits at home.