Educator Training: Grade 5
What is Power to Grow?
Power to Grow is a nutrition education program designed to help students understand how the body uses food and offers tools for making informed food choices. If you teach Grade 5, register for this interactive teacher workshop to help you guide students through a wide variety of nutrition topics including digestion, label reading, and media influences on food choices. Program resources help students apply nutrition knowledge and learn skills through personal assessment.
What do you learn in a teacher workshop?
- What role families, schools and teachers play in mealtimes & food or nutrition education
- What is ‘healthy’ eating anyway?
- When messages to kids about ‘healthy’ eating takes a turn
- 4 ingredients to make a difference in your students’ lives
- Eating competence
- Food literacy
- Body acceptance
- Food journeys
- How to talk to kids/students about food, bodies and movement
This interactive teacher workshop will include:
- Teacher’s Guide – lesson plans, teaching ideas, student activities, and assessment tools
- Classroom posters
- Student activity sheets (French and English), 4 videos to support teaching, and Smartboard ready lessons
* Program materials are only available to teachers who have taken a workshop.
What about Canada's new food guide?
Read more on how to use Power to Grow with Canada's new food guide.
Can you Safely use Nüton Programs and Resources During COVID-19?
Nutrition is a cross-curricular topic. Meet outcomes in many other subjects while teaching nutrition.Contact us
What comes with the program
The following resources are provided at no cost to workshop participants
Includes lesson plans, teaching ideas, student activities and assessment tools
Healthy Bodies poster
Sizing Up Food Guide Servings Poster
Feeding with Love and Good Sense: 6 through 13 years
USB with student activity sheets
(English and French), Smartboard ready lessons
Materials available for purchase
Food Picture Cards (Bilingual)
A set of 103 food pictures with a food group legend on the back (5”x7”cards).
Canada’s Food Guide
Class sets available from Health Canada:
Canada’s Food Guide